These are rainy day cookies. Cookies for when both supplies and moral are running low. A simple tumble of ingredients baked into a melting, chewy crumb, rich with hazelnuts and cocoa. I love how the tops crack in the heat, creating nooks and crevices for a snow-like dusting of icing sugar to settle upon. The recipe came about through persistent fiddling. It is wildly popular to make ‘3 ingredient’ Nutella cookies but I believe the addition of hazelnuts, salt and vanilla adds decadent dimensions to something already divine. These are exactly the type of sweet sustenance I dream of to accompany a glass of cold milk; they are the solace I would offer a broken heart.
60g ground hazelnuts
90g plain flour
180g chocolate hazelnut spread (such as Nutella)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/350°F/Gas Mark 4
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the egg and Nutella and beat into a stiff dough.
- Divide the mixture into 12 balls and space evenly on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before dusting with icing sugar.