Good red wine and rich, dark chocolate are two of life’s greatest pleasures. They are indulgences we should allow ourselves as both boast a myriad of health benefits, namely mental health benefits. These two are, in actual fact, a logical taste pairing; rich in fruity aromas and earthy tannins, they are cousins in flavour. Adding red wine to chocolate cupcake batter doesn’t produce an alcohol-soused sponge, rather a deeply tender crumb with a faint rosy glow. As it is the season, a pinch of cinnamon alludes to mulling spices and festive cheer.
Dark Chocolate and Red Wine Cupcakes
100g melted butter
125ml red wine
35g cocoa powder
120g full-fat greek yoghurt
1tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
150g self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
120g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4 and line a 12 space muffin tin with cupcake wrappers.
- Weigh out the dry ingredients, sifting in the cocoa powder.
- Whisk the butter and red wine together before blending with the Greek yoghurt, vanilla, and egg.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and beat until combine.
- Fill each case 3/4 full and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Check the cakes are cooked by inserting a cocktail stick – if it comes out clean your cakes are ready.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack before frosting or simply dusting with icing sugar.